Let the beauty we love be what we do. There are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the ground. - Rumi

Sunday, February 19, 2012

The Hair Thing - Welcome to My World




Life is an endless struggle full of frustrations and challenges, but eventually you find a hair stylist you like.  ~Author Unknown

I have hair issues.  Everyone does. Or some people do and others don’t.  I was born with kinky, curly hair.  Hair that requires work to look nice:  Work that I don’t necessarily want to do, it depends on the year, my style, where I am at with my look.
Dixie Peach
Varnette Honeywood
In my story, I have a mother that really wasn’t all that much into hair either.  When I was little, she didn’t care that I cried when she tugged on my head and hair to comb it.  And I had those funny looking braids and a very tender scalp.  Hence, her plan was to relax and keep my hair short. Like her.  But she wasn’t consistent and lacked family support (because we were overseas). It was a nightmare of a mess.  
Fast forward to being a grownup and not having any strong hair skills.  For a while I did the natural thing, still keeping my hair braided.  Simple, it worked in college. 
I learned to deep condition my hair with olive oil in a sauna, making it very healthy.   But it was time consuming, the braids.
Oh! and I tried wearing braids, the cornrow/ weave ones (the fake ones).  I thought someone put a rug on my head – hated it.  It was awful.  All she did was tug on my head, of course I didn't like it, I have hair tugging issues.  I mean the worst $300.00 dollar mistake I ever made. I don’t understand that one, how women go around with rugs on their heads.
I have straightened my hair with a relaxer.  And kept it short.  And it worked.  For a long time. 
Then I wanted something different, but I don’t like a lot of hair fiddling.  I found a relaxer that left my hair curly and ringlet like.  And I loved it.  I felt the straight hair was too severe and got tired of it. Why couldn’t I have that beautiful mixed race curly spirally hair?  But I was happy with the new curly look.  I had to use curl stuff to make the curls, but for the first time, I felt happy with my hair.  It wasn’t too difficult to style, so it met my needs and I thought it suited me. 
Alas and alack, my hair got dry, and brittle and needed care and I had to find products I could afford and liked.  Thus began a whole new chapter in my life. 
Since I don’t wear makeup, I take decent care of my hair.
There is the leave-in conditioner, the curl crème and the anti frizz stuff.  And sometimes the combination works and sometimes I have to tweek it.
The great thing about my hair is painting it.  Doing representations of it in my work.  I love making squiggley lines to depict my curly hair.  That is fun.  That is what I love about my hair and my identity.
self portrait
acrylic on canvas panel 2011

They say people with straight hair want curly and vice versa.
I am just trying to be happy with who I am and how I am on this planet right now.  So I am figuring it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment