Let the beauty we love be what we do. There are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the ground. - Rumi

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Out of the Comfort Zone - A Colorful Idea


Sunny warm skies
actually cold clear skies,
I am projecting for the summer
February 2011
Palo Alto


It’s hard to believe summer is upon us, warm days and nights.
Summer fruits, cookouts,warm balmy evenings, strolls along the beach.  And of course having that perfect little black dress to wear.  I have been in a quandary about my little black dress status.  All the ones I have now have a hole or are worn.
I started looking around, checking all my usual shopping places for something to catch my eye.  At the same time realizing that I have a plethora of colorful summer dresses that haven’t really had their fair share of wear.  And I began to ponder why do I have all these beautifully colored dresses if I have no intention of wearing them. 
Black has been my uniform forever.  Originally it was a black skirt and white blouse, colored tights, black flats, black coat and pearls.  Forever.  My go to since my twenties.  Same for evening the black dress and a medium black heel, pearls.
 I am comfortable in black.  Black and white, black and khaki, black with a splash of pink or green.  It works for me.
The black is like camaflauge.  It hides all the imperfections, it blends in.   Wearing black is a no brainer, keeps it simple not to mention the slimming effects.
But lately, actually since last summer, I don’t want to blend in, I want to immerse myself in bright oranges and fluorescent pink sand voluptuous reds.  Warm colors, warm colors like tropical sunsets and sunrises.  Warm colors that remind me of foods I like:  juicy sweet mangos, papaya, succulent peaches, plump red cherries and luscious raspberries: don’t know why.  I am just being drawn to those colors.
But, I am afraid to step out of my uniform, my comfort zone.
I am going to give myself a challenge.  No new black summer dress, no wearing black this summer.  It isn’t summer yet, but I am going to try.  Of course this new rule will not apply to the gym attire.

Papillon
recycled cans, buttons, acrylic on wood

No comments:

Post a Comment