Let the beauty we love be what we do. There are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the ground. - Rumi

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Sometimes - we need a reminder


Pretty women wonder where
My secret lies.
I’m not cute or built to suit a
Fashion models size
But when I start to tell them,
They think I’m telling lies.
I say,
It’s in the reach of my arms
The span of my hips,
The stride of my step,
The curl of my lips.
I’m a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That’s me.
From “Phenomenal Woman”
by Maya Angelou

Sometimes in the shuffle of the day we forget that we are all magnificent wonderful human beings on this planet having a very human experience.  Sometimes we are overly self conscious of our short comings or areas of development as I like to call them now. 
This poem reminds me to treasure who I am and what I do and can do in the world.  It reminds me that we are all beautiful and beauty is within more than with out. 
Sometimes all we need is a reminder of our beauty. A kind word, gesture or touch. Sometimes, many times, it becomes a reminder to stay true to oneself, trust the process and be present keep us all grounded here on planet earth.
My personal world has been shattered by change and it is beautiful.  I am learning to trust my intution and instincts.  It reminds me to be grateful and loving to everyone who crosses my path.
The Kiss
acrylic on canvas panel
4/2011
(in a series inspired by Rodin)
4/2011

3 comments:

  1. Wow. I love this poem. Classic... I guess change is upon us, no?... I hope it's all good! xoxo-S!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm...We'll talk soon, I hope! By the way, Charlie is on a baseball team with twin siblings who you work with. The mom's name is Julie... She said you're amazing which I wholeheartedly agree with!!! xoxo-S!

    ReplyDelete