Let the beauty we love be what we do. There are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the ground. - Rumi

Sunday, October 2, 2011

You know it’ good when your son asks to learn the recipe



“You don't have to cook fancy or complicated masterpieces - just good food from fresh ingredients.”
Julia Child






clay food


This summer I had the experience of having my son want to learn how to cook one of the dishes that is a regular in the rotation in our house. 
It pleased me beyond measure to have him be interested in learning how to prepare a meal.  It meant that one day he could cook this dish for his friends, that maybe one day this might be a dish he prepared for his children.
I was so excited, I thought I would burst with joy and happiness.
He actually went shopping with me to purchase the ingredients.  And then when it came time to begin the cooking, he balked. He wanted to watch.
I said I would walk him through; the best way to learn was by doing.  I pulled out my cast iron dutch oven, poured some olive oil in it, put the onions in the pan and then he took over.
It was weird telling him how to prepare the Bolognese sauce that he loves so much.  I always make it the night before so the next day it is delicious, all the spices and sauce melded together.  I now pass on this tradition to my son.
It is the first one. And thus makes it special in my heart.
We cook for our children. Painstakingly preparing dishes we hope they will like: the pasta mama, the chicken curry, the teriyaki salmon, etc. These were popular dishes in our house.  It always cracked me up when there was a complaint that it wasn’t just right. And of course they wouldn’t eat it (another topic).
Food is an important memory of home and family.  Sitting around the table talking at dinner.  This was a bonding time with my sons, checking in, reflecting on the experiences we had each had in the day, telling jokes, the latest sports mishaps. 
And now, here I am, beginning to pass the recipes on. It was summer and thus too hot to bake so we didn’t get into making cakes or cookies, also his favorites.
But there is Thanksgiving Break when we do a traditional
dinner and dessert.
Back to making the Bolognese sauce, during the preparing time my son did get a little grumpy with me about the directions.
I have been making this sauce for so long, I do it by a pinch of this and little of that. How to pass that on?  Demonstrate.
Put the spices in his hands and let him feel it.
It doesn’t get any better than that. Teaching my child, my son, my young man person how to prepare a dish he has loved.  Now it is his. Like a giveaway, I have given him something that he can have with him forever.


1 comment: