Let the beauty we love be what we do. There are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the ground. - Rumi

Sunday, September 9, 2012

Universal Law


Grace
watercolor on watercolor paper
2012



I have always been intrigued by the study of law, the power knowing it can have.  At one time in my life I pondered law school and then becoming a paralegal, thinking it a way to help people.  When I checked it all out, reading a preliminary intro to the study of law, the words were like gobble - dee goop to my brain. The words describing a/the law were like one long run on, nonsensical sentence and all of this to protect my rights or anyone’s rights…. Right. 
I believe law, knowing the law can have a positive effect when used to help those who need help, to fight for justice and correct injustice. 
We have a slippery system at best here in the U.S.A., a topic for another day.
There is another form of law that I know of, that I can practice. And feel good about.  Universal Law.  There are a few Universal Laws, but my favorite and most important law I call the law of do no harm.  In Chinese medicine this is the first rule.
Do no harm
Universal law is not complicated.  It clearly states what is.
Do no harm.  That can be translated to the fields of emotion, physical, and psychic wellbeing. 
Universal law is about treating other people as we want to be treated.  It is about mindfulness on a daily basis.  Not that we can always be so clear, we are each challenged because we live in villages (metaphorically speaking) and deal with alot of different people, in different levels of knowledge.
Universal Law is as you give so shall you receive.  My thoughts translate into actions so if I am giving good thoughts good thoughts are coming my way.  Some times shitty things happen though, (that’s keeping it real).
A challenge is always an opportunity to grow. It’s an opportunity to find out how strong I am. 
Universal law is easy to practice:  Do No Harm, with words, actions and motions.  Do No Harm to yourself (be kind), to others (be kind), love and love returns to you. 


"You can search the entire universe for someone who is more deserving of your love and affection than you are yourself, and that person is not to be found anywhere. You, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection."
--Buddha

No comments:

Post a Comment