Let the beauty we love be what we do. There are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the ground. - Rumi

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Drawing a Blank - working out the heart thing


All real works of art look as though they were done in joy. – Robert Henri (1865-1929

I like that idea.  I like the idea that thinking that any creative expression I have has joy in it.  Even if it is to profess sadness.
Right now, my hands want to be busy with something, but they don’t know what.
I want to paint, but I don’t have any new ideas.
I want to collage, but what.
I want to do something, but I don’t know what.
It isn’t that I have a lack of inspiration.  Or maybe I do.
I intended to force myself to sit down and do a watercolor. Just see where the  color leads me. 
I want to paint about love, but love also scares me.  How many hearts can I paint, collage, draw, sew?  What is it that draws me to this subject?  Perhaps I should just keep making hearts until I can no longer distinguish them from the background of the paper or my hand from the brush.
(The heart has so much symbolism on many levels.
classical philosophers and scientists, considered the heart the seat of thought, reason or emotion, often rejecting the value of the brain.
The word heart continues to be used poetically to refer to the soul, and stylized depictions of hearts are used as prevalent symbols representing love.) – from Wikipedia.
Maybe, I want to work myself though an idea with the heart symbol and I am stunting my development by being too analytical about the process.  In other words, I should just DO IT in Nike slang.
Corazon
watercolor on watercolor paper
3/2011
The heart chakra is considered a place of unconditional love.

The Heart Chakra is the centre from which feelings of love emanate. It is also associated with other virtuous emotions, such as joy, happiness, honesty, respect, compassion, understanding, and generosity, and with loving oneself in a sincere, non-egotistic way. This is also the chakra through which we connect with others whom we love or have affection towards. Once forged, these links are very hard to break, which is why people suffer so much through the break-up of a relationship or the loss of a loved one. C. W. Leadbeater, The Chakras, Quest Books, Theosophical Publishing House, Wheaton, Ill. p.13
I think I have to not be afraid to express what my  “heart” wants to.
Just keep painting and collaging those hearts and working it out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment