Let the beauty we love be what we do. There are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the ground. - Rumi

Thursday, October 11, 2012

The teacher (looking from a child's point of view)

Love
watercolor on watercolor paper
12/2012



What does a teacher do? Why is it important to have teachers? Who can be a teacher? How can a teacher be a positive influence in the life of another? Why is it important?
What words come to mind when thinking of teachers? Which teachers do we remember from our own childhood? One’s that treated us respectfully or one’s that gave us a hard time?

Today I was going through my iPhoto library; just browsing, looking to see what was there, and I came across photos my students had taken of me. I looked at the images, of myself, one a close up of my face and saw something beautiful.
I saw a patient, kind, gentlewoman.
I don’t always look at myself, but I was looking through the lens of my students.
I often find the children to be my teacher.  I have something to learn from each of the children in my care.
With some children the flow and the communication is easy.
With some children I have to reach deep inside my arsenal of patience and understanding to connect with them.
As it is with the parents of my students as well, there are parents I have an easy time discussing the development of their child with them and those I am challenged with.

As a teacher with parents my role is to bring visibility to the growth and development of their child as well as the areas of development (those are challenging).  My role is to help the parents see a strong image of their child as a learner, competent, capable, inquisitive and developing their autonomy.
There are basic questions I ask myself when engaging with parents: is it true? Is it kind? Can I be diplomatic about it?
Can I create a bond of trust that we are both advocates for the child’s wellbeing?
The role of a teacher is not always easy but to me it is so, so, so much fun.  I watch the children grow. I pace myself with mindfulness armed with an arsenal of early childhood development practice and my own practice of “do no harm”.


No comments:

Post a Comment