Let the beauty we love be what we do. There are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the ground. - Rumi

Thursday, August 8, 2013

City of angels – city of love, light, healing

Camel pose
watercolor on watercolor paper
 8/2013



I love Los Angeles, I have lived here the most of my entire adult life.
I have grown up here, had my children here and put down roots.
It wasn’t intentional. It just happened. But when I reflect on it I am happy it did.
I feel like I have the best of the world right here in my backyard.

The other day in yoga class it was a tight fit and I began chatting with the person next to me, we began to extol the virtues of living in LA: the weather, the fresh produce and foods, the people, the lifestyle.
I felt so happy, this is the place I consider home.

The  virtues as I see them:  the beach, the beautiful pacific ocean, always there, gorgeous, blue, beautiful, inspiring.

Vegan food, so many choices of how to not eat dairy!!
My favorite restaurants are Native Foods, Vegan Glory and RFD. In that order.

The spiritual life, there are so many religions and lifestyle choices here.  I love seeing the Hasidic jews that walk on Saturdays,
The Hispanic peoples in the park having big birthday parties, the indian ladies walking their children to school and every other culture that resides in this town, eating in Korea town.  It is truly a muliticultural place.
The other thing about the City of Angels is all the gyms, and yoga studios and general physical fitness people are into.  I have belonged to three gyms at one point or another.  People work out here.  I work out here, I used to ride my bike everywhere, when I was centered in one part of town. 

Even when I am moving through traffic during rush hour, I remember this is my choice to live here.  And I do get frustrated sometimes with the traffic, but at the end of it I still like living here.

I don’t know what the hold is the City of Angels has over me!! I never intended to live here.  But I kept growing, and learning and growing and maturing.

I discovered myself here.  When I landed here I was broken, lacked sense of purpose for my life, discipline and I found everything that I loved here.  I found my work, my purpose, my path on this planet here.  All it takes is for one person to take a chance on another and I found people willing to take a chance on me and give me an opportunity to  grow.  I was so grateful that someone  gave me an chance that I worked as hard as I could to be the best I could be. Cliché’  - true.
I came from hard knocks and a dysfunctional family life, I have survived all of that and am better for it.

I have met people I love, people I am fond of, and people I don’t want in my reality. 
All in all this is my town- from Santa Monica to Downtown. I love it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment