Let the beauty we love be what we do. There are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the ground. - Rumi

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

The Art of the Felt Board Story



Felt ducks
Five Little Ducks went out one day...
  
I have always loved literacy and storytelling with young children.  I think that books are windows into a big beautiful world of imagination inside us all.  Stories can make us laugh, cry, reflect, connect with another’s experience and many other feelings.
As a teacher I was really interested in learning how to make a felt board story.  It’s more storytelling than reading a book, you can take a book and make the characters out of felt.  Kinda like making them come alive.
That is the creative part that I absolutely love. And found very hard. Not hard, but like my art, I have a certain style and wanted the pieces to be the way I envisioned them.
Children enjoy the visual added component to a story.  I have seen them connect and love the characters as if they were old friends or new friends.
Turning a book into a felt story was fun.  It is a bit of sewing and cutting and using felt.  Another creative material, with many possibilities, I loved cutting the felt pieces and trying to figure out how to make the most from them.
The children love them.  And that gives me great joy.  To see them interacting with and giving their own interpretation to a story.
Elmer
Animals and Tree with Elephant colored berries




No comments:

Post a Comment