Let the beauty we love be what we do. There are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the ground. - Rumi

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Eunice Johnson – Tribute to a Trailblazing Phenomenal Woman


From Wall Street Journal
5/25/2012



Recently I picked up the Wall Street Journal and flipped to the fashion section.  Believe it or not, this paper has a fabulous style section, almost as good as the New York Times (in my opinion).  There was an article about Eunice Johnson, wife of publishing company owner John Johnson and also the owner of Ebony magazine and Jet magazine go to’s for African American news and information for many, many years. 

She was a fashion icon.  She would travel to Europe and see the latest collections and bring the styles back to the states for African American women, in the fifties.
She created the Fashion Fair Fashion show that traveled around the country raising money for scholarships for the United Negro Fund, Boys and Girls Club, and other charities.

I love blogging.  I love most fashion blogs, even though my blog isn’t a fashion one. So when I read the article about Mrs. Johnson, it was just on for me.  I was in fashion heaven.  I can’t help myself.  I felt like I had to honor her.  She was a pioneer.  A black woman with a beautiful strong sense of style back in the day, the day being the fifties, I find that awesome.  I am now in love with this woman. She actually oversaw the fashion show until she was 93 years old.

Currently, it is in the works to produce a retrospective of some of the dresses she collected at the Chicago History Museum.  Curators are going through all dresses (there are more than 7,000) to put together a show.  I bet it will be fantastic.  I hope it travels to Los Angeles, that other museums see the value of showing what she collected.

She was a phenomenal woman.  She was a frontrunner and a trailblazer for African American women, and all women.  She had a vision, she stuck to it and made her dream a reality. Hard work, perseverance, and believing in oneself are all necessary to achieve any goal. My hat off to her, she inspires me. 

Also from Wall Street Journal

No comments:

Post a Comment