Let the beauty we love be what we do. There are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the ground. - Rumi

Saturday, June 15, 2013

The continuum moves on….. my hair story








I have tried for the last many months to embrace being natural with my hair.  I have read magazines, read blogs, watched You-tube videos of women claiming their natural hair, the hair they were born with.
I wanted so desperately to also be one of those women. 
It wasn’t working for my lifestyle.  I felt fuzzy, I felt like my hair just didn’t look good, even after a haircut.
I do hot yoga, I am busy all day, I don’t have time for the effort it takes to maintain a growing natural hairstyle.  My friends suggested weaves and braids and a short fro, but that is not who I am.
Those suggestions just didn’t work for me and meanwhile, my hair was getting burned every morning in hot yoga.  And I love the hot yoga for my body more than I love natural hair.
Looking through my Facebook and iPhoto library I saw photos and I realized I liked my hair just the way it was.
I WANTED IT BACK!!! RIGHT NOW!!!    
I went back to my hairdresser and relaxed my hair.  I walked out of the salon happy.  I felt like me.  I felt peaceful.  I texted my family and friends and I think they were relieved.  Relieved that I wouldn’t be fussing and complaining about my hair anymore.
We learn lessons; everything has something for us to learn in it.
I learned that what works for me doesn’t work for someone else.
I learned that as natural and organic and clean as I like to be, it doesn’t relate to my hair right now in my life.
I love the way it looks now.  Happiness does have a price, sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment