Let the beauty we love be what we do. There are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the ground. - Rumi

Friday, December 31, 2010

The Playground (for grownups)



"The body is shaped, disciplined, honored and in time trusted." - Martha Graham
I have always loved physical exercise.  When I was little living in Hawaii we ran around all the time, we were barefoot and outside or we were at the swimming pool or beach all day.

My favorite time of day is going to the gym, it’s like my treat for doing everything else I do in the day.  I can’t wait.  The alpha girl in me rises up at the thought my heart pumping, my skin flushing and pushing my body to the limits.  My favorite activity was doing cardio: I was a cardio queen.  I made the best mix tapes I could think of, it was a dance video party and I was the star.  I move my arms, wiggle my hips and sweat, sweat, sweat.  I actually regard this time as therapy.  I was solving my problems and working out my frustrations. After 55 minutes I was calmer and ready to go back out into the world (no more dance queen, just peaceful).
Then I got brave and began lifting a little weight.  I started with the leg press machine and that was my favorite thing, I loved the pushing.  Eventually I added upper body exercises and core moves.  My least favorite is working my abs and of course they need it the most.
I love being in the gym.  It is a playground full of toys (machines) for me to explore. 
I think one of the reasons I love it so much is that I am a physical person.  That’s probably why I like teaching, you don’t sit in one spot and are constantly moving around.  I like moving around.

Recently I discovered how wonderful it is to have someone (a trainer) tell me what to do in the gym.  I love it and hate it at the same time.  Love it because I am totally out of my self and into the oneness of my body and hate it because I am being pushed to keep moving and not at my pace (good lesson). For one hour in the time space continuum, I am completely present in the moment connected to my body.  Nothing else can exist for me but to pay attention to what I am doing, what my arms and legs are doing.  I keep moving when I think I can’t move anymore.  Of course because I love being in the gym – I can’t help a little trash talking, after all it’s the playground and sometimes I am sassy with my playmate (trainer).  When we are finished I always feel fatigued and my endorphin levels must be elevated, because I am tranquil walking out of the gym.
Then I want to do it again, on a different day after I rested. That gives me confidence, a confidence to try new things.  It gives me different image of myself. I can flip off the chatter about my body type or my capabilities because I don’t give up in the gym. 
I never give up and now I translate that to my everyday life. 

Papillon
watercolor on watercolor paper



No comments:

Post a Comment