Let the beauty we love be what we do. There are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the ground. - Rumi

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Thoughts all over the place


For the last year as I dreamt of beginning this blog, my thoughts were all over the place. I wanted to discourse on politics, children’s rights, women’s rights, my point of view regarding the educational system here in the USA, the world, globilization, the Governer’s race, prop 17 or 18.
I felt like this chatty little field mice and sure I could solve all the problems of the world.
I wanted to discuss my point of view about all that goes on in the world around me, my children, the children I teach, the families I connect with, the adults.
My perspective is gentler, kinder, more humane.
I wanted to howl for rights for children who don’t have health insurance or food or shoes or good books to read.  I want to scream for babies that don’t have enough diapers in a day and have to wear the same one all day so that their parent can stretch it out.  I want to holler for the women in the congo who have been treated so atrociously in the name of tribal war and genocide.
And could someone (those in government and education) agree on the importance of literacy in the development of a young child.  Children have the right to be read to and the right to be listened to. 
Who is accountable?
Who can make a difference?
Well, put me in charge – I can.
Who can lay aside their personal agenda for the betterment
of the general population?
Not sure I can do that one.
My brain overloads on wanting to see there be changes
In the world.
Okay – now I have said all of what bounces around in my head, think I have to make some art. Focus on something tangible, something I can be in charge of. 
I know ---- me.
This is my favorite poem of all times – well one of them
I have loved Nikki Giovanni since introduced to her as a teenager.  This sums up a portion of who I am.

REVOLUTIONARY DREAMS by Nikki Giovanni

i used to dream militant
dreams of taking
over american to show
these white folks how it should be 
done
i used to dream radical dreams
of blowing everyone away with my perceptive powers
of correct analysis
i even used to think i'd be the one to negotiate the peace
then i awoke and dug
that if i dreamed natural
dreams of being a natural
woman doing what a woman
does when she's natural
i would have a revolution
(From the women and the men)

Love
watercolor and collage on watercolor paper
2009

No comments:

Post a Comment