Let the beauty we love be what we do. There are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the ground. - Rumi

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Women I love, admire, and inspire me



Recently I queried myself….if I could meet any woman in the world, who would it be?  Why would I choose this woman?
And I had to really start thinking and thinking and thinking.
What were the criteria for my choice?  And still I did more thinking.

At first I was sure I would want to meet Oprah.  Doesn’t everyone want to meet her?  For a few years I was a dedicated Oprah magazine devotee.  Nope.

I found that as I processed what my criteria would be certain standards became important. I think any person who reaches a high level of proficiency in their work has had to make many personal sacrifices and work hard to get there.  A woman showing exceptional intelligence without any flashiness, distinguished in the political arena—a woman whose power has global reach.

The first person I would love to meet is Condoleezza Rice. She is on the top of my list of women I would love to meet.  She was born in segregated south and became a very powerful woman, a memeber of a President’s cabinet, the Secretary of State. She had the attention of politicians all over the world. That she is an educator, a professor at Stanford was another interesting tidbit about her. 

The next woman I would love to meet and hope I do one day is Mrs. O, Michelle Obama.  I follow the website about her style consistently.  I love that she was a lawyer, has two beautiful daughters and has worked hard for everything she has.  She gets to rock some really beautiful clothes and I like almost everything she wears. Erikson Beamon made jewelry for her.  They also made a line for Target; I had to have a piece.  The search for the jewelry was an experience because it wasn’t available online or in any of the local Targets.  My cousin found them in a Target in North Carolina.

Condoleezza and Michelle are powerful women of color in a world predominated by Caucasian men. Daunting.
As an educator and artist, it is quite fascinating for me to write these words and observe that my first choices aren’t women who are artists or writers.  I chose women in the political arena.  Why?

I think because I am so interested in educational reform, change in our world: these are women who make a difference and there are few African American women in high places of power. How auspicuous for little brown skinned, mixed race girls to have these women to look up to as role models.  Actually how wonderful for children all over the world to see visable images of powerful women of color.  Optimistic for the future.
Women artists who inspire me?  A topic for another blog entry.
Winter, Spring, Summer and Fall
watercolor on watercolor paper
12/2009

No comments:

Post a Comment